Marquette Avenue and Second Avenue South are being reconstructed between 1st Street South and 12th Street South. Work started in August 2008 and will continue through December 2009. Both streets are being rebuilt from building front to building front. When the project is completed, the street will have two bus lanes and two traffic lanes (both operating in the same direction as they do today), wider sidewalks, new transit shelters, public art, more trees and more attractive landscaping and streetscaping. Several of the transit facilities will have real-time electronic departure information signs.
The number of buses operating in downtown is expected to increase significantly in the future, particularly as commuters continue to turn to mass transit to access the downtown business core. The dual transit lanes on 2nd and Marquette will:
- Dramatically improve the speed and reliability of bus service through downtown
- Add significant bus capacity in the downtown core
- Provide a more “legible” system for downtown commuters by consolidating express transit service into one north-south corridor
- Provide improved passenger waiting facilities, passenger security, passenger information systems, and passenger amenities
- Set the stage for the implementation of other downtown transit improvements
3D Animation of a typical block